What does Forest School offer?
Forest School gives children the opportunity to cover a wide range of topics from our curriculum – from mathematics and nature to team-building and problem solving – in an alternative environment which has been proven to facilitate learning. Sessions offer children a range of benefits, including:
- Allowing them to take responsibility for their own learning and development. The Forest School ethos encourages child-led learning and learning through play
- Support for the Early Years Foundation Stage areas of learning and the six key skills of the primary national curriculum
- Aids individual learning and development
- Encourages emotional growth, self-esteem, confidence and independence
- Emboldens children to take manageable risks in safety while stimulating their natural curiosity
What do children do in Forest School?
Lots of exciting and educational things, a typical Forest School session includes:
- Den building
- Knot tying
- Willow patterns
- Natural sculptures
- Creating woodland friends
"Playing in a natural environment has shown to improve children's concentration, social and mental development, and physical and mental health."
Dr William Bird